- Tax Due Dates: February 1, May 1, August 1, November 1
- Evening Hours: First Monday in each tax quarter – 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
- Taxes due on the first of each quarter with a 10 day grace period and interest retroactive to the first, interest calculated at 8% on first $1500 and 18% in excess of 1500.00.
- There is a 6% year-end penalty for delinquencies over $10,000.00.
- Payments accepted by cash, check or money order only.
- When paying by check or E-check, you must include your block and lot number.
- The tax office does not use an account number system.
- Please include a self addressed stamped envelope with your payment if you require a receipt.
- When ownership of property changes, the tax bill should be forwarded to the new owners.
TAXES ARE VALID WITH OR WITHOUT POSSESSION OF A HARDCOPY OF A BILL
Pay Property Tax Bills Online
You can view/pay property tax/water bills online by clicking on the link below.
Please be advised that the following convenience fees are associated with the use of this online system:
- If you pay by ACH or E-check (i.e., direct payment from your personal checking account), there is a $1.05 convenience fee.
- If you pay by Visa personal debit card, there is a $3.95 convenience fee.
- The fee for ALL OTHER DEBIT AND CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS will be approximately 2.95% (2.95 PERCENT) of your TOTAL BILL.
Please note that THESE CONVENIENCE FEES ARE NOT COLLECTED BY NOR DO THEY GO TO THE TOWNSHIP – rather these fees are a consequence of the business relationship between a given resident and their respective financial services provider.
The Tax Collector takes pride in announcing that the Township of Belleville now provides a drop box in the lobby of the Town Hall on the ground floor – between the police department and the main building – for those who are making tax and water payments by check only. Residents can now make payments in a secure protected environment without waiting in line and prime time parking issues.
Please enjoy the convenience!
New Jersey Property Tax List Search
This search engine allows individuals to utilize, view and print assessment records which must be annually submitted to the Division of Taxation. These records are contained in assessment lists filed annually by the Assessor to the County Board of Taxation on or before January 10.
Please Note: Any changes, such as ownership transfer that occur after the Tax List is certified will not be reflected on this file.
Senior Property Tax Freeze Program
You may be eligible for a reimbursement of the difference between the amount of Property Taxes you paid in the base year and the amount paid in the year for which you are applying. If you are 65 or older or are receiving Federal Social Security Disability Benefits, have lived in NJ at least 10 years as a homeowner or renter, and have lived in and own your home you may be eligible for the Senior Freeze Program. Click on the link above or call the number above to get more information.
Senior Citizen Deductions
Senior citizens deduction renewal form (PD-5) is due by March 1, or with a Doctor’s verification no later than May 1. Please click on PD-5 to download the form or you can use the more comprehensive table of tax forms appearing below.
Veteran’s Property Tax Deduction Credit
Eligible US Veterans and surviving spouses can use the form below to receive a $250 annual credit towards their property tax bill.
- All payments are by cash, check or money order only.
- You must include your water account number with all check payments.
- Please include a self addressed stamped envelope with your payment if your require a receipt.
- A final water meter reading is required before property changes ownership. Please provide new owner information as soon as possible after closing date.
WATER SHUT-OFF PROGRAM IN EFFECT EVERY MAY-OCTOBER.
Garage sale permits are $10.00 for three consecutive days and residents are permitted to have two (2) per year. In the event of bad weather, the rain dates will be on next consecutive weekend.
The Garage Sale Permit form may be downloaded here: Garage Sale Permit Form